Thursday, February 13, 2014

How to practice what we believe

Yesterday I had conversation with a friend who is learning about all the bad stuff that is current and forthcoming with our government, our nation, our economy, our currency, our way of life here in America.  He was informed, and becoming overwhelmed.  I listened, and I've heard much of it already from others.  I don't disagree completely.  But what should we believe?  And more importantly, how do we apply what we know and learn???

Also, as I listened to a great "Christian" radio station recently, (I just had to "  "  the word Christian because only people can truly be Christian) the DJ made comment that the Golden Rule can be helpful in life.  Well, I agree.  However, I thought his comment was a huge understatement.  The concept of the Golden Rule is found in the Bible, Matt. 7:12.  Jesus says "Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them."  But he does not stop there.  He includes "for this is the Law and the Prophets."  Here, and in a few other places in the NT, Jesus is concluding his discourse about how we should live according to the commands of God with a distilling of truth.  He summarizes all that has been written and said before with his new pithy statement. ( I said pithy not petty )

For myself and all seekers of truth, we should hear this message from Jesus.  He is brief and to the point.  If you really believe following Jesus is the way to live, start practicing what he says.  The application of his condensed truth is simple enough for children to apprehend.  Honestly, I don't even need to explain how to apply this simple rule found in Matt 7:12.  You know how.

So, this is some real informative stuff that will not leave us fuzzy and scratching our heads.  To me it is no small thing that can never be overstated.  Lord, help me to obey this simple mandate. Also, help my friend as he sorts through all the "overwhelming truth about how to live with the impending collapse of our beloved well being and lifestyles."

No comments:

Post a Comment