Monday, February 3, 2014

Three teenage boys agree to split a pizza.  They order up a nice one that will cost $30.  (it better be nice)  One ambitious boy takes money ($10 from each) and goes to pick it up.  Surprise, he gets a discount today, and pays only $25 for the pizza.  He returns with the pizza, and refunds each boy $1, including himself.  He decided to keep the other $2 for the trouble.  (seems fair, besides you cannot easily split $5 three ways)  Now each boy is in for $9 each.  3 x 9 = 27  If the three are now into the pizza for a total of $27, and $2 left over went into the ambitious boy's pocket,  (27 + 2 = 29) what happened to the other dollar?

If you have never seen this riddle, it might be tricky to figure out quickly.  A hint here; your mind went one way with the numbers.  Is there another way to see the numbers?  This riddle is a good illustration of how easily we can be tricked, deceived, or misinformed.  That is one good reason we need to be careful about "being right".

True story.  I was once talking to an old friend in the fire service.  He grew up on a small farm, raised gardens and livestock, and had chicken house full of hens and roosters.  I raise chickens, so we were talking chickens and eggs.  In conversation, I made mention that I had shot my rooster because it got mean.  He laughed and then commented, "better replace it soon if you want eggs".  I paused and then stated that I did NOT need a rooster to get eggs from my hens.  He got frustrated as he adamantly stated that I was wrong.  Well, I've keep chickens for many years, sometimes without roosters, and still get eggs.  He had grown up always with hens and roosters together.  He had concluded that it takes both to produce eggs.  It was obvious to him.  Well, just so happens he drew the wrong conclusion.  This process of logical reasoning failed him, this time.  By the way, he happens to know far more than I do about lots of farm issues.

How easily we could be wrong.  I've been wrong and found it difficult to be adjusted.  Lord help me.
Oh yea, it takes a rooster to get fertile eggs from the hen.

No comments:

Post a Comment